This tutorial is from the Medium One site and republished with their permission. Medium One is a great company that is really helping to build up a community of people learning about IOT. Thanks Medium One.
This assumes you have the SK-S7G2.
You will also need a Renesas AMS Sensor board.
If you do not have a Renesas AMS Sensor board and are willing to share your experiences in this community, contact @jcasman about the possibility of getting a free sensor.
Our sponsor, Renesas, has donated 15 sensors to the community to help people with the SK-S7G2 participate in the community. Thanks Renesas!
This tutorial will show you how to add an AMS Sensor to the Synergy Starter Kit SK-S7G2 and send and visualize the new sensor data in the Renesas IoT Sandbox, by modifying the Connected Weather Panel demo and using the M1 Synergy Cloud Driver.
This is an advanced tutorial that builds on the Quick Start Guide for the Synergy Starter Kit: SK-S7G2 with Connected Weather Demo. In this tutorial, you will change your project to connect four new sensors – Air Quality, Color, Temperature/Humidity, and Proximity, detected via the AMS Module. The M1 Synergy Cloud Driver library will be included into the project, allowing you to read and write to the sensors through python code in the Renesas IoT Sandbox. We will also visualize the collected sensor data in the Renesas IoT Sandbox Dashboard.
For the purpose of this tutorial , we will use “ConnectedWeatherPanel-SKS7-20161103” preloaded project.
Using e2 studio, we will update this project to incorporate new sensor and data you wish to process. We will generate new build and flash the board.
In Renesas IoT Sandbox, we will create/update necessary workflow and visualize new data in Dashboard.
WHAT YOU NEED TO GET STARTED:
- Synergy Starter Kit SK-S7G2
- USB Cable (to power the board). I think it’s in the kit. If not, it’s a normal USB cable
- AMS Module (Environmental sensor module. Contact @jcasman for a free sensor if you’re willing to write about your experiences)
- Ethernet access with DHCP
- Renesas e2 studio software Version: 5.2.0.020 - Main e2 studio download page | archive
- SSP_Distribution_1.1.3 application - Main SSP download page | archive
- ConnectedWeatherPanel-SKS7-20161103 zip file - Download entire package
- m1 Synergy Cloud Drive Library zip file – download https://github.com/Medium-One/synergy-cloud-driver/releases/download/v1.0/m1_synergy_cloud_driver.zip (included in package above)
- Understanding of Renesas e2 studio
- Understanding of Synergy Starter Kit: SK-S7G2 with Connected Weather Demo – Quick start guide
- Activation of your SK-S7G2 Template Project in Renesas IoT Sandbox
Estimated Time to Complete: 2.5 – 3 hrs
1. OPEN SYNERGY CONFIGURATION
In this tutorial, you will use the pre-built Connected Weather Panel project which includes Synergy configuration configuration.xml.
Open e2 studio, then go to File -> Import -> General -> Existing Projects into Workspace, then click Next:
Select your root directory, usually it is your workspace:
Switch to Synergy Configuration perspective:
Alternatively, go to ‘Open Perspective’ and select ‘Synergy Configuration’ from there:
2. UPDATE TO THE LATEST SSP VERSION
NOTE: As of 12/09/2016, it is SSP version 1.1.3
3. CHANGE LCD CONFIGURATION DRIVER TO USE RSPIO.
Select HMI Thread:
Remove existing g_spi_lcdc stack:
Add r_rspi stack:
These are two of the thirty sections in this tutorial.