My First Tutorial - UPDATED

s7g2
s3a7

This Learn IoT Community site is the right place to add core skills for IoT development. All the resources here are free. How much you use or contribute is totally up to you.

However, a clear “learning flow” can be very helpful when you’re trying to add skills and build a career.

You’re not required to follow these steps. But we’ve developed these steps based on feedback from the community using the boards and tutorials. Following in order should significantly speed up your efforts and avoid some common pitfalls.

The information included here is focused on two main Renesas Starter Kits, Synergy SK-S7G2 Starter Kit and the Synergy S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit.

SK-S7G2 Learning Flow - Path to Completed IoT Project

Step 1: Learn Renesas IoT Sandbox Basics

For SK-S7G2

Step 2: Learn e2 Studio Basics

Get a quick overview of e2 Studio and Synergy by going through these tutorials in this order.

1. Blinky as part of the SK-S7G2 Quick Start Guide. Blinky is the one to start with
  2. As preparation for all demo tutorials, learn how to import packages into e2 Studio. Make sure you watch that video 5 minute or your may try and extract the zip file (which won’t work for import).
  3. SK-S7G2 GUIX “Hello World”. Do not skip Blinky. This one is much more involved. Think Blink before GUI.

At this point, you’re on your way.

Step 3: Practice Building Demo Project from Source

After the three steps above, build a demo project that connects to the IoT Sandbox. Do not edit the project at this time or connect the project to the sandbox. Just practice the build.

1. For SK-S7G2: Build Connected Weather Demo from source. It’s here. Not recommended to add the AMS sensor yet. Just build it. The IoT Sandbox components require background knowledge. Just practice the build for now.

Step 4: Customize Demo Project Source

For SK-S7G2

You can contact @jcasman for a free AMS Sensor if you’re willing to write up your project.

Step 5: Build Your Own Project

S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit Learning Flow - Path to Completed IoT Project

Step 1: Learn Renesas IoT Sandbox Basics

For S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit

Step 2: Learn e2 Studio Basics

Get a quick overview of e2 Studio and Synergy by going through these tutorials in this order.

1. Blinky for the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit by Dan Kane
2. Blinky part 2 for the 4th LED (released soon)
3. As preparation for all demo tutorials, learn how to import packages into e2 Studio. Make sure you watch that video 5 minute or your may try and extract the zip file (which won’t work for import).

At this point, you’re on your way.

Step 3: Practice Building Demo Project from Source

After the three steps above, build a demo project that connects to the IoT Sandbox. Do not edit the project at this time or connect the project to the sandbox. Just practice the build.

• For S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit: Build Smart Chef Demo from source. It’s here. Do not add cloud-driven GPIO at this time. Just practice building from source. Instruction on the build process is here.

Step 4: Customize Demo Project Source

For S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit

Step 5: Build Your Own Project

S7G2 Learning Variation

Community member @iotcommu2017 suggested the tutorial Creating a basic GUI application with Synergy and GUIX. Tutorial is available below.

synergy_basic_gui_lab_SK_v113.pdf (1.8 MB)

Technical Support From Renesas

Community member @iotcommunity2017 also verified that technical support is available from Renesas. We’ve also verified with a Renesas Synergy manager that the link below is the correct form to use to initiate technical support discussions. It looks a bit non-standard, but support is available at the link below.

Blinky on the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit
Learn IoT MeetUp - Apr 19 in San Jose
Get Paid to Learn IoT with World’s MCU Leader

I’ve reordered the steps to follow this flow:

IoT Sandbox Basics -> e2 Studio Basics -> e2 Studio Build Demo from Source -> Customize Demo Project -> Build your own project

Added @Dan’s Blinky tutorial as Step 2 for the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit

Also, to test the flow, I personally went through the S3A7 Sensiron with Grove Sensor tutorial yesterday, built Smart Chef from Source, and built the S7G2 Connected Weather Demo from source.

How well did you fare with getting it to build on the latest versions of the SSP (1.2.x)? It seems the demos were built with 1.1.1 in mind, and don’t port well, at least when I tried it last month. Have they fixed the porting process yet? Or has anyone updated the projects?

For the Smart Chef Demo source, you can use the newest version of e2Studio with SSP 1.1.1 or 1.1.3.

Once you get that dialed-in, then it might be easier to try to port the demo to SSP 1.2, but I think most people are using 1.1.3 and modifying the demo code from there. See below.

Board Support Package (BSP)

Note that you’ll need to copy the BSP for the s3 IoT board into the e2 Studio packages.

This tutorial on Blinky by Dan Kane shows how to use SSP 1.2 with a basic LED blinking system.

Note that I’m using e2 Studio 5.3.1 with SSP 1.1.3 to build the Smart Chef Demo and.

How can get one of these Starter kit for exercising at home. Is there a Rent or Loan option available ?

send a note to @jcasman to start the process. I think we need to get more from Renesas. Would the S3A7 be okay?

Hemant,

Can you tell where you’re located? And your interest in using the Synergy SK-S7G2 Starter Kit? Have you worked with Renesas boards before?

Jesse

It might be easier to get him the S3A7 or S5D9. Digi-Key does have 48 units of SK-S7G2 in stock right now for $83.75.

The S3A7 has onboard WiFi. The S5D9 and the S7G2 have onboard Ethernet only.

We can also check with our contact to see if we can get a stock of these to loan out.

Hi Craig ,
Thanks for feedback !
yes S3A7 is good option .
Best Regards
Hemant

Hi Jesse ,
I am in Pre-Sales and Technical Support for Base Station Emulators - working with Mobile Vendors in Silicon valley . i mostly work on troubleshooting Mobile Vendors issues in regards to 3GPP& 3GPP2 Specifications . I have never worked on Renesas board or any IOT product before but i have strong wish to learn about IOT products. i am glad i found your group !

Best Regards
Hemant
https://www.linkedin.com/in/hemant-rawat-43575b14

There is a free meetup in Santa Clara on June 5.

There are two basic parts you’ll need to learn:

1. cloud-based data monitoring and intelligence (Renesas IoT Sandbox)
  2. Synergy (the platform and libraries)

If your primary goal is to learn about the Renesas IoT Sandbox and Synergy, the S3A7 will work fine. However, it doesn’t come with an embedded modem and there’s no application or source code out to connect it to a modem. If cellular modem connectivity is not required, then I think Jesse can probably send you a kit if you’re willing to document your experiences on this site. Ideally, we’re looking for a tutorial of the project you’ll build to learn how to use the kit. The fastest way to finish a project is to use the Sandbox, which largely involves Python scripts. You can extend the Smart Chef Demo, which is a pre-built binary (source code is also available).

The IoT Enabler Kit comes with a Nimblelink CAT1 Modem and a S7G2. We do not have the IoT Enabler Kit ourselves and would need to put you in contact with Renesas if you need cellular modem for testing.

The easiest way to finish your own project with the S3A7 is to go through the S3A7 Smart Garage Monitoring Tutorial, then extend the Python workflow afterward.

You can see discussions and tutorials on the S3A7 here.

Would be great to get more contributions if you’re up for it.

I updated the listing of tutorials for the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit.

Nice improvement, thank you

Hemant,

Ideally, if we get you a loaner board, you’d have time to work through a tutorial on the site and try extending it yourself. Think you’d have time to work through a tutorial over the next month or so? Think you’d have time to share some of your experiences (good and bad) on the site? Do you have any ideas for what you’d like to build?

Also, do you think you’ll make it to the meetup on June 5? That would be the easiest way to get a board to you.

Jesse

Hello Jesse ,
Yes , i believe as a starting point i will try to copy-paste tutorials on this website and see their affect on a Loaner unit. I will post my experience on this forum and any questions while working on Loaner unit
I will definitely make it to June 5 meeting

Thanks &Regards
Hemant.

Great, great, great. Look forward to seeing you next week Monday. I’ll hand you the board at the end of the evening. Well, actually, you’ll work on the board during the meetup and then can just take it home with you. :slight_smile:

Hemant,

I didn’t see you last night! We had a lot of fun, 30 people in the room, lots of good questions and problem-solving. Added some pictures here: Learn IoT MeetUp - June 5 in San Jose

You still interested in getting a board? I’m willing to figure out a way to get it to you if you still think you have some time to spend on this.

Jesse

Hi Jesse
Apologies i got stuck with a Personal Emergency . I replied yesterday just before the session with my registered gmail id to your last post but seems like it didn’t got posted to you .
Yes i saw pictures from yesterday’s session and they look very exciting and great !
Pl let me know where can i stop by to collect this board ?

Best Regards
Hemant