Slides from the meetup
Hands On Training Tutorial
Accelerate your IoT learning with this hands-on meetup and workshop. We’ll show you how to easily build an IoT Solution using the Renesas S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit, Bosch accelerometer (vibration sensor), and Medium One’s Data Intelligence Platform to send sensor data to the cloud and analyze it. Our sponsor Renesas is making a classroom in their Santa Clara office available. Medium One’s Marty Fabry will be running the workshop.
You will learn
- How to flash programs to the Renesas S3A7 board
- Connect and configure a vibration sensor
- Send sensor data to the Renesas IoT Sandbox platform
- Set up customized workflow to process data and set up actions
- Set up two way communication from both mobile phones and web-based applications
- How to continue your education for free with community-based tutorials and online discussion
Free access to awesome professional-grade technology:
- Renesas Synergy Platform, including the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit
- Renesas IoT Sandbox platform
- Sensors for vibration
Date and Location
Date: January 23, Monday, from 6pm to 9pm
Location: Renesas Electronics America Inc. 2801 Scott Boulevard, Santa Clara. Additional information on entering the building and checking in with security will be provided.
- Professional or experienced embedded developer who is new to IoT.
- No experience needed with Python, REST API communication, or mobile app development
- We will provide an overview of free tools and sample code that already works for you to customize
- Programming experience. Knowledge of Python or C useful but not required.
- Basic understanding of how data is transmitted over public Internet
- Basic understanding of common data formats such as JSON is useful
More Learning Opportunities
- Participants can buy the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit at a huge discount (reduced price of $50, from $154)
- Free online tutorials to connect the Renesas AMS sensor to the SK-S7G2 or DK-S7G2. (If you already have one of these boards)
- Possibility of a free AMS sensor if you already own a S7G2 board and are willing to share your project plans with the community
- Possibility of a loaner S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit if you’re willing to write up your project build guide and share it with the community
Other Groups That Are Welcome
- Back-end developer that wants a better understanding of IoT devices and platform
- We will have pre-built binary programs that are already loaded onto the boards. You can plug it in and start sending sensor data to the cloud
- The back-end workflow for the boards and sensors is written in Python
- Front-end developer that wants a holistic view of IoT
- As the sample code is pre-built, you can get an overview of IoT without having to program in C or Python.
- We will not be covering custom front-end data visualization in this meetup. Medium One has pre-built dashboards that can be easily configured with little or minimal code
Prepare for MeetUp in Advance
We will provide
- 20 laptops that are preconfigured (you may need to share)
- 15 S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kits (you may need to share)
- Register for Renesas IoT Sandbox
- Install SEGGER J-Link on your laptop prior to the meeting (Download)
- Install IoT monitoring app on your mobile phone (Download)
The preparation above is suggested, but not required. You’ll have an easier time with the workshop if you have an understanding of the components. You’ll also be able to build projects faster after the meetup.
If you got a confirmation for your RSVP
Requests for two prep items:
We would like to pre-register you, so the security check goes quickly. We have your full name, we just need a Company name. If you do not wish to state a company name, “independent consultant” works just fine. Please make sure to bring an ID like a driver’s license.
Please sign up for a Renesas IoT Sandbox account for working through the tutorials.
You’ll get 3 confirmation emails. The email with the subject “Your S3A7 kit is activated!” has credentials for both the board and related a mobile app. Please be able to reference this email Monday night.
The workshop will cover the Smart Garage Monitoring Tutorial. We recommend participants go through the Smart Chef Quick Start Guide and Mobile Quick Start Guide first to get familiar with the concepts covered in the workshop. Even withou a board ahead of time, you can still go through the Mobile Quick Start Guide with a free Renesas IoT Sandbox account and mobile app.
The address is Renesas Electronics America, Inc. 2801 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara, CA 95050. That’s just south of Central Expressway on Scott Blvd. The entrance for the meetup is through a side entrance to the south of the building.
Or same map, more details:
Craig and I were there yesterday. Here’s a couple pictures to help you find your way.
The sign to the south of the Lobby entrance at the beginning of the Available Parking section. If you see this sign, you’re basically there. This is @craig pointing.
Look for the space between the two buildings. If you’re here, go ahead and park. You’re only 100 yards away. More @craig
This way! Again, if you see this, go ahead and park anywhere. You’ve arrived.
Look for this entrance. @craig found it, so you definitely can. You’ll have to check in and be escorted to the actual meetup room from there.
See you there, looking forward to it!