[SOLVED] SK-S7G2 GUIX "Hello World" Application Project

Hello to all

I have S7G2 board and set of sensors. Received this when I participated Feb 08 IoT workshop &Lab practice at Santa Clara, CA. Thanks for this events. Now come to the point.

I was trying to understand project SK-S7G2 GUIX “Hello World” below link.

https://www.renesas.com/en-us/software/D6000622.html

Installed latest e2Studio and SSP 1.1.3. Instructions from above download and current software many of the screenshot not matching. For example
1. Step 26 : "Figure 42 Configure Simple SPI (on SCI) property " not sure how to set or add ICU.
2. Similar issue steps 35, 36

Is there updated pdf document according current e2Studio for S7G2.

Thanks
MK

SK-S7G2 Tutorials
Download and Use Free Icons, Sounds, Image and Sound Editors
Quick Tutorial: Customizing GUI Event Handler - Summary
Quick Tutorial: Garfield Pixmap on S7G2

Please try and send a note to Renesas at the link below. I’m talking to a manager at Renesas now and the person assures me that the link below can be used for support.

also, we’re aware of the version compatibility problem and have alerted Renesas to this. Thanks.

Hello Craig

Thank you for update.

Please let me know if you run into problems with that contact form. This community is new and we’ve never used the form before for support, but I’ve been assured by a manager at Renesas that you will get a response from a human being. We also spoke to a manager about looking into the version incompatibility problems with the docs after the upgrade to the latest e2Studio and SSP.

We’re also trying to get other people from the community to look into this.

I submitted issue to Renesas Tech support.

I hope you get a response from Renesas. In parallel, I decided to pop open the GUIX Hello World and see if it would build. I used this video:

The build of the sample app succeeded with no errors, but 227 warnings.

This is my SSP version:

After I flashed the board, the demo app runs

I’ll take a shot and go through the tutorial now.

Let me know your progress. Maybe we’ll both learn something.

Note that I’m not an engineer and I don’t work for Renesas. So, while I don’t think I’ll be a source of knowledge, I may be able to help track down information. Also, I have a general feeling that if I keep trying, it will help the general knowledge pool that @jcasman and I need to build up. :slight_smile:

Quick Tutorial: Garfield Pixmap on S7G2

Have you tried to change the SSP version to 1.1.0?

I did a test with 1.1.1 and it failed. You can change the SSP version unde rthe BSP device selection screen below:

Using 1.1.0, I now get 0 errors and 0 warnings

I’m going through the tutorial that is listed here:

The example lists SSP 1.1.0, so that what I’m using. It says, or later, but I think that later may not work.

I’m currently on page 14 of 45 of the tutorial. I’m going to make a cup of coffee.

Now on page 22 of 45.

In step 39, Figure 54, picture is only for P611, showing Symbolic name of GPIO43. As the previous figure, Figure 53, showed Symbolic name of GPIO40, I decided to use symbolic names as follows:

• P609: GPIO41
  • P610: GPIO42

Not sure if the above is correct, but I’m hoping it’s right.

I’m on page 29 of 47 now, spent an hour trying to find GUIX Studio, but eventually found the download on the *Development Tools" tab.

I installed v 5.3.0.1 from the archive as that is compatible with SSP 1.1.0, which I’m using for this tutorial.

The tool is pretty cool as it offers a drag and drop way to create the GUI.

I went through every page of the 47 Page [GUIX “Hello World” for SK-S7G2](file:///C:/Users/craig/Downloads/r12an0021eu0111-synergy-guix-sk-s7g2.pdf) tutorial and got an error-free build. For learning purposes, you may want to use SSP 1.1.0 with GUIX Studio 5.3.0.1 for now until you go through the tutorial once and then can adapt things to the more recent SSP if you need to. I haven’t looked into the details, but there are some code snippets that ship with the tutorial and may be causing some build errors with the SSP version you’re using.

You can get the older SSP in the Release Archive

Regarding your initial question regarding Figure 42,

Go to the “Threads” tab.

In the upper right corner, there is a icon for a piece of paper with a plus sign.

When you click on the plus sign, it will open up a drop-down menu. select Driver and Connectivity

From there, you can select SPI Driver on r_sci_spi.

In the Main Thread Stack, click on the SPI Driver on r_sci_spi icon.

In the tabs below, select Properties

If you left-click on the Value, you will be able to edit it or it will open up a selection menu.

I’ve only been using e2 Studio and GUIX Studio for a couple of hours and am already having a lot of fun with it. My 12 year old daughter is learning to build mobile games and is using a cat character called Pusheen. I converted the Hello World GUIX project into a little toy demo to make the cat appear and disappear with the touchscreen.

Although the learning curve is steep, there’s a lot of fun that can be created with e2 Studio.

For comparison, I have a fair bit of experience building games on the Raspberry Pi and mobile devices. The power and system overhead requirements of the Raspberry Pi are really high. To get a reasonable touchscreen project on the Rpi, you need to have the OS, application framework, and touchscreen working and then deal with stuff like filesystem corruption and system shutdown on power-off.

I’m also having fun getting closer to the hardware and pins. I’m planning to play around with GUIX Studio more and then attempt another tutorial.

Quick Test of Graphics in GUIX Studio

As a quick test of jpeg graphics, I simply replaced the existing 16x16 icon with a sample 128x128 jpeg icon that I had lying around.

This added 8KB of data to the demo.

You can simply double click on the Strings to edit them.

A good next step would be to create custom icons and add it to the demo. I’ll be playing around with this more.

Making Icons

If you’re new to making icons, a good tool to use is GIMP. It’s free and open source. It’s similar to Photoshop.

Right now, I’m sticking to JPEG icons as the Synergy Main Thread Stacks only have the jpeg_decode modules. It does look like PNG is possible in the future. From the GUIX Studio configurator:

From the e2 Studio

I summarized this in a Garfield Pixmap tutorial

I’m now trying to insert custom pixelmaps into the code. I’m using another cat graphic as my young daughter likes cats and I’m showing her the project progress.

Wrote another quick tutorial on inserting my daughter’s stuffed animal into the project as a custom icon. The custom icon is on window2 of the sample app.

Tomorrow, I’ll post another article on customizing the event handler to interact with a third window.

Added Quick Tutorial on Customizing GUI Event Handler. Includes access to source code for GUI components on GitHub repository.

Tested upgrading from e2 Studio 5.2.0 to 5.3.1.

No problems with build or debugging. All old projects as well as the GUIX Hello World demo worked. Log of my process is below.

Hi there

Finally I got time to check out GUIX Hello world project with SSP version 1.1.3.

I had great help from Renesas Tech support team with document and few mismatch also found and finally able to run my own splash screen image on S7G2 board.

Here is picture

Going to check SSP 1.2.0 latest release.

Thanks to every one in iotcommunity. especially “craig” who recommend to connect with tech support team.

If any one wants to try out

Here is document which is uploaded by teach team.

synergy_basic_gui_lab_SK_v113.pdf (1.8 MB)

Need two updated code, unable to attach here, not sure how to share it here. it allows only picture or PDF allowed to attach.

I just enabled *.zip file extensions, so you can try and upload a .zip file. Also, many people put code on places like dropbox and then put a link here to the code on dropbox. Whichever way you prefer.

Thank you for your contriution.

Nice octopus. Did you draw it? Cool.

borrowed from daughter.

I will upload full set here with changes needed for 1.2.0. Already Renesas engineer said they updated the document so I am going to post that one and full project set for SK-S7G2 board. Most of the steps you have provided is same which is previous SSP version. For SSP 1.2.0 few changes done with e2Studio.

Thanks