S5D9 HowTo: Restore Factory Image

Solid Red LED3

Failed Tests

Flash Factory Image

Connect pins 1 and 2 on J11

Take the jumper on J6 to jump pins 1 and 2 on J11.

The jumper on J6 is only used to control the voltage of the PMOD. This means that you don’t need to find a jumper or use a wire like the diagram below.

It’s better if you use a jumper connector. If you lost the one that came on J6 and can’t find a replacement, you can simply use wires from your hobby kit. Notice that the board no longer displays the red LED.

Confirm COM port on Windows

With the S5D9 board connected to my Windows computer with USB, the board shows as Synergy USB Boot (COM3) in Device Manager.

Open Renesas Flash Programmer

Obtain the project file here

Download and start the Renesas Flash Programmer. I am using the free-of-charge edition.

Open Project File S5 LCM Bootloader

Select Program File S5_LCM_Bootloader.mot

Set COM Port

Under Connect Settings tab, set COM port to the same port shown in your computer’s Device Manager. In my case, COM3.

Your COM ports may be different.

Press Start

Verify “OK”

Disconnect J11 Jumper and USB

Factory Test

Connect pins 1 and 2 on two Grove cables

Jumper PMOD port as follows

I rigged my board up with wires I had on my desk.

Plug Ethernet and USB Cable In

Board passes tests.

ThingName.txt file is restored.

Testing with Renesas Data Monitoring

Board is now fully functional.

Fixing Bricked S5D9 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit
Problems Detecting S5D9 as USB Storage Device
S5D9 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit Tutorials

Thanks a lot for this article. You are a lifesaver.
Where can I get the the datasheet for the S5D9 fast prototyping kit. The datasheet here https://www.renesas.com/en-us/doc/products/renesas-synergy/doc/r01ds0303eu0100-synergy-s5d9.pdf seems to be for a model that has a screen and other peripherals built in.

Design files and schematics are here:

Specifications are here:

IoT_Fast_Prototyping_Kit S5D9.pdf (4.7 MB)

Some sections from the document above.

• The Synergy MCU that is designated as the heart of the kit by the S5D9 block
  • A power management module that includes 3V3 LDO voltage regulator required for the operation of the microcontroller.
  • SPI Flash – the S5D9 flash memory is expanded with external 32 MB memory module connected over a high-speed QSPI interface. The external flash can be used for storage of graphics and other digital assets, or for execution of code in place (XIP).
  • User-defined LEDs – the user-defined LEDs are useful in indicating the current state of the firmware. The 3 LEDs have different colors for easy identification.
  • USB device interface – the S5D9 MCU includes one USB interface block operating in Full Speed. The USB device connector can be used to power the board.
  • PMOD interface – the board includes one 12-pin PMOD interface that can be configured by jumpers to provide either 3.3V or 5V on their power pins. This feature expands the range of peripheral modules without the need for external level shifters or power supply.
  • Grove interfaces – the Grove connectors are compatible with the Seeed Studio's line of peripheral modules that feature a very large selection of sensors and actuators. One of the Grove connectors can be configured to communicate over the UART and the other is dedicated for I2C interface.
  • JTAG interface that is available on a 10-pin connector, J20 compatible with Segger debugging probe. Alternatively, a 14-pin Tag-Connect interface probe can be used to program and debug the device.

Power Supply

The IoT Fast Prototyping Kit requires a single 5V power supply source. It can be provided through the USB Device connector J9 or through the Molex MicroBlade series connector J8.

Pin# shows the pin information for the power connectors, and Function shows the pin information for the USB connector.

USB Device Connector (J9)

Pin # Function
1 +5VDC
2 Data -
3 Data +
5 Ground

Thanks craig.
I also have a problem where the board S5D9_IOT_ENABLER is not avaliable in my bsp settings section. would you know how to fix this?

Did you install the BSP pack?

Default install location is:

This needs to be installed manually

Renesas.S5D9_IOT_BOARD.1.2.0.pack (22.8 KB)