Quick Tutorial: Garfield Pixmap on S7G2

s7g2
guix

Garfield Pixmap on S7G2

15 minute hack to dip your toe into GUIX Studio.

Assumes you’ve already gone through the SK-S7G2 GUIX “Hello World” Application Project. As that tutorial is 47 pages and focuses on learning e2 Studio, you can also just import the existing code from the demo into e2 Studio and then change the pixmap using GUIX Studio.

What We’re Doing

We’re simply replacing an existing button graphic with a Garfield graphic.

By pressing on Garfield, Pusheen appears.

If you have a pre-teen daughter like I do, you may be aware of Pusheen. I’ve only recently been introduced to this character by my daughter. She’s building mobile apps with Pusheen. My generation focused more on Garfield.

Swapping the Graphic

To make the change as simple as possible, I’m just changing the icon for CHECKBOX_OFF and CHECKBOX_ON. This will give you a bit of fun for little effort.

If you double click on the Name of the Pixelmap in GUIX Studio, you’ll be able to select another graphic.

You can also edit all the text strings within GUIX Studio as well as moving the widgets around with your mouse. Once you have things set up nicely, save and Generate All Output Files

All the files are put nicely into e2 Studio. You can now build and transfer the image to your S7G2 and hand the board to your kids to play with.

The board can easily be powered by a rechargeable battery so you can whip it out whenever the mood strikes you. Boot time is instantaneous.

You can easily customize this for your kids and learn more about GUIX Studio and e2 Studio along the way.

Additional Information

Import Guide for e2 studio

Tutorial and Files

Once you unpack the main file, there will be a GUIX_Hello_World_SK-S7G2.zip file that you can import into e2 Studio using the video guide above.

SSP Version

The project builds with SSP version 1.1.0. You may get errors with newer versions. I did.

You can get older versions of SSP for free from the Renesas Synergy Gallery under the Release Archive tab.

Download GUIX Studio

It took me an hour to realize that I needed to go to the Development Tools tab to download GUIX Studio.

Next

Add a custom icon on Window2

Quick Tutorial: Custom Pixelmaps on S7G2
[SOLVED] SK-S7G2 GUIX "Hello World" Application Project
SK-S7G2 Tutorials

Craig, this is a fun take on a pretty practical feature! I can see it being used for a check list or something along those lines.
I think it’s really cool that you’re teaching your daughter coding. When I was a pre-teen, Neopets was a popular website, and I really enjoyed learning HTML and CSS to build my own little webpages on Neopets. Maybe your daughter would like to learn some web skills too! :slight_smile:

This is a great tip. Thanks. I’m looking at Neopets now.

She’s been using Bootstrap and editing the templates, which exposes her to the basics of HTML and CSS.

She may like Neopets more as there’s a bunch of code on the bootstrap template that she doesn’t understand. Starting with a smaller snippet would likely be better… Any other tips on teaching a pre-teen (tween?) girl to program would be appreciated. Thanks again for the pointer to Neopets.

Oh her sites are really cool! Unfortunately, Neopets is not nearly as popular now as it was when I was a kid, so I don’t know how much use she would get from it. My motivation for creating the webpages was from the friendships I made with users in the Neopets community, and she probably wouldn’t get the same level of interaction that I had. It’s still worth a shot, I suppose!

Can’t think of any other tips at the moment, but I’ll let you know if I think of anything!

Thanks for this insight. I think this is a critical concept in what motivates kids, and possibly adults too. It would be great if there were a group of pre-teen girls that learned new skills and formed friendships in the process.

By the time they enter 9th grade, there’s a bit more opportunity. As one example, the robotics clubs are excellent at both local high schools.

As a parent, I’m still concerned that the US culture and educational structures do not foster learning of tech skills for girls. Perhaps you think there’s enough opportunity? Or, perhaps you’ll change things in the future?

When I was younger, I think the tech environment was pretty neutral. Nothing was pushing me away from pursuing tech, but nothing was pushing me toward it either (other than my own personal interest, of course). However, I do think that this is not the case for young girls today! I actually think the environment is more encouraging due to a societal awareness of the lack of women in STEM. Now there are a lot of resources tailored toward girls learning tech skills. Maybe not in educational structures (not sure exactly how they would approach that), but in online resources and techy toys.

That being said, sometimes I wonder if the gendered approach is the right way to go with tech.

For example, I’ve noticed that by college, STEM is very, very gendered. I’m in the Women in Computer Science and Stanford Women Engineers clubs on campus. These are both great communities, but I wonder if there will ever be a time when I can just be a computer scientist without the qualifier “female” changing its meaning.
Also, a lot of the men I interact with in CS assume a sense of superiority over women (which is something I didn’t really face previously). Does some of this stem from gender stereotypes learned as a kid? Sure. But I wonder if approaching tech in a gendered way will actually enhance this sense of male superiority when one gets to college and the classes are not gendered (“oh, the women only know how to do tech when it’s pink and involves ponies and flowers” sort of thing).

However, I think that the worst point in the tech world for women is actually right in the industry. For instance, after the recent story came out about Uber excusing sexual assault, there have been many other stories from women talking about the sexism they face in the industry - from their ideas being ignored until a man says them, to sexual assault. Is this the environment we want young girls to strive to be a part of? I think that a lot of attention has been spent on getting girls into tech - and that’s awesome - but much more attention needs to be focused on fixing the tech culture toward women in the industry. Increasing girls’ interest and confidence in tech is wonderful and a great step toward equality - but given that tech culture is currently male-majority with male leadership, I think the most pressing concern is actually teaching men about the brilliant work women can do.

Sorry for such a long post! It’s something I’m very passionate about. :slight_smile:

Well said! And, very much appreciated that you took the time to say this.

I hope your passion changes public perception by the time my daughter enters college. :slight_smile:

As I’ve worked with public perception campaigns for many years, your comment caused me to think about a possible solution. It’s a tough problem and I don’t have an answer. One strategy to help change perception is for your student group to engage with mainstream reporters more and help them to access stories, people, and data. Your group may already be engaged with public relations by students to the general public around events.

My personal involvement to change the world is on a much smaller level. As my daughter is right in front me, I’m focused on her. My world is small. A few years ago, I saw a poster she made in grade school on a wall in our house. I think it’s probably an art response to the question, “who are you?” The response resonated with me and I hung it on my office wall.

Thanks again for your comments. It’s very exciting for me to listen to young people think about improving the world. I feel the world will be in good hands with the next few generations.