Quick Tutorial: Building Renesas Synergy Smart Chef Demo from Source

e2studio
s3a7

Oh nice! That would be awesome if you could document the process. The GUIX Hello World tutorial is rather gratifying to get working and it’s easy to modify. I spoke @jcasman and he’s planning to loan you his personal SK-S7G2 and then try and get more from our sponsor, Renesas. he might walk it over today or you can contact him and arrange pickup. Click on any of these tutorials. http://learn.iotcommunity.io/tags/guix to get a feel for the GUIX projects. This is something you could get going within an hour and then start modifying the GUI and event handling in another hour. You could then use the GUI to display data or trigger events with the Renesas IoT Sandbox (Medium One) and mobile apps. So, you could get something slick in a reasonable amount of time.

The coolest project thus far is the one below by @elpaniagua

How’s that for a LCD hack!!!

On a different topic, I notice that there are 5 docs for the DK-S3A7 (not the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit that we all have). I’m curious if those might be an easier starting point for the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit.

Dan,

Can provide a “loaner” SK-S7G2 kit, no problem, especially since you’re making such headway. Very cool! I’ll email to ask about specifics in getting it to you.

Jesse

Good man. Some solid progress in the community today. Would love to see that S3A7 Blinky project up.

As a quick test, I built the S7G2 ConnectedWeatherPanel application from source. The source for this demo is available from the Medium One Cloud Agent for Synergy package. The build went smoothly and I was able to transfer the image to the board.

I then connected the board to Ethernet to test network connectivity to the Renesas IoT Sandbox.

The board got an IP address by DHCP and using IP lookup, it found my city, time and was able to provide a weather report specific to my city.

I have not gone through the Medium One Cloud Agent for Synergy Documentation yet, but I feel it will be doable.

The source for guix_studio looks familiar, so we should be able to dive in fairly easily and customize the LCD panel for quick gratification.

The Blinky project worked well and it isn’t very hard. I have all the screenshots I need, and I should be able to post it by tomorrow night. I ended up using a Blinky template for an older S3A7 development board which had LEDs driven by Port 7 bits 1,2,3,4. On this latest board, the LEDs are driven by Port 7 bits 0,1,2,3. Without doing anything, you get 3 LEDs blinking (Port 7: 1-3) and it is easy to change the frequency to show you are in control.

I’ll post that much as part 1. For part 2, I’ll figure out how to turn on the 4th LED. I was able to configure the pin as the appropriate type of output, but I still have to change the code in a few places.

This is fantastic. I want to build blinky.

You may want to try adding a new sensor onto the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit. @jcasman has the Sensirion Grove sensor used in the tutorial below.

http://renesas-blog.mediumone.com/s3a7-tutorial-with-sensirion-grove-sensor/

It could be a path forward to connect the pH sensor you were talking about earlier.

The key part seems to be in sensor_thread_entry.c

err = g_sf_i2c_device3.p_api->open(g_sf_i2c_device3.p_ctrl, g_sf_i2c_device3.p_cfg);
APP_ERR_TRAP(err);
m1_initialize_i2c(&g_sf_i2c_device3);
err = g_sf_i2c_device4.p_api->open(g_sf_i2c_device4.p_ctrl, g_sf_i2c_device4.p_cfg);
APP_ERR_TRAP(err);
m1_initialize_i2c(&g_sf_i2c_device4);
#endif
#endif

Maybe he can loan you the Sensiron Grove sensor module.

Seems like there’s many options to learn now that we know how to do a few things with e2 Studio and Synergy. BTW, it took me a long time to figure how to import the zipped file too. Like you, I unzipped the package initially. I think we’re all encountering the same errors with versioning of the Synergy libraries, importing the zipped archive files, and getting the BSP (Board Support Package) into e2 Studio.

The sensor is only $12, but as it’s similar to the existing sensor in the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit, you may not want to buy it. Jesse may be able to loan you one for the tutorial if you’re interested.

I went through the S3A7 WITH SENSIRION GROVE SENSOR tutorial to add a new sensor to the S3A7 to make sure things went smoothly. Some of the steps assume prior knowledge.

Add new i2c device

Threads Tab

In the Sensor Thread Stacks window, you need to hit the small plus icon.

When you click on the plus icon, a new menu opens up to add the I2C Framework Device on sf_i2c

Now I have a fourth device.

If I left click on the Add I2C Framework Shared Bus, I get the option to use g_sf_i2c_bus0 Framework Shared Bus…

It then turns blue.

To configure the I2C Driver, click on the driver. It will be grey. Go go to the properties tab.

Register Sensiron I2c device

Builds cleanly

Transfer with no problem.

Unboxing the Grove Sensiron Sensor

Hook it up.

Activate Sandbox

I connected it to the Sandbox, but as there are many steps, I won’t document it here. If you’re having problems connecting to the sandbox, there is a separate tutorial.

Configure Workflow on Sandbox

View Data on Sandbox Dashboard

New Sensor Hard at Work Sending IoT Data to Renesas IoT Sandbox

SK-S3A7 Tutorials
Smart Chef Demo With Cloud Driven GPIO – Completed with Modifications
My First Tutorial - UPDATED

Review of the S3A7 with Sensirion Grove Sensor Tutorial

http://renesas-blog.mediumone.com/s3a7-tutorial-with-sensirion-grove-sensor/

The tutorial is fully functional with no errors. I was able to go through it in an hour. I now have the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit working with a new sensor that was not included with the kit. This opens to door for a range of new projects. The SHT31 uses a standard Grove connector and is cheap at $12. It processes both temperature and humidity, which are really common inputs.

The tutorial assumes prior knowledge of e2 Studio, Synergy and the Renesas IoT Sandbox. I do not recommend going through the tutorial as a beginner tutorial to learn Synergy or the Sandbox. It is a great tutorial to learn how to add a sensor.

Phase 1 Learning of e2 Studio

If you want to learn e2 Studio and Synergy, the easiest path is to get an SK-S7G2 and go through these tutorials:

1. Blinky as part of the SK-S7G2 Quick Start Guide. Note that @Dan is building a blinky tutorial for the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit. Blinky is the one to start with
  2. As preparation for all demo tutorials, learn how to import packages into e2 Studio. Make sure you watch that video 5 minute or your may try and extract the zip file (which won’t work for import).
  3. SK-S7G2 GUIX “Hello World”. Do not skip Blinky. This one is much more involved. Think Blink before GUI.

At this point, you’re on your way.

Phase 2 Learning of e2 Studio

Suggested projects after the three steps above:

1. For SK-S7G2: Build Connected Weather Demo from source. It’s here. Not recommended to add the AMS sensor yet. Just build it. The IoT Sandbox components require background knowledge. Just practice the build for now.

2. For S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit: Build Smart Chef Demo from source. It’s here. Do not add cloud-driven GPIO at this time. Just practice building from source.

Learning Renesas IoT Sandbox

For SK-S7G2

Summary

The S3A7 With Sensirion Grove Sensor is a great tutorial that explains how to add a new sensor to the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit. It assumes prior knowledge. I recommend that people new to Synergy or the IoT Sandbox go through other tutorials first and then try the Sensirion Grove Sensor tutorial.

Hi all,

I have posted a blog on how to install e2studio and ssp 1.1.3 for smartchef after the support team work with me through it.

Hope this will help you.

Forum post

http://renesasrulz.com/iot/f/iot-sandbox-forum/8061/problem-with-creating-new-project-pack-missing-errors-ssp-1-1-3/26096#26096

My blog summary on installation

https://www.miketechuniverse.com/single-post/2017/05/01/How-to-install-Renesas-e2-Studio-for-S3A7-Board

Best regards,
Michael

Michael,
This is great. Do you mind if I post of copy of your blog post on this site and attribute you as the author? It might make it easier for people to find the content if I put the pictures in. I’ll put you as the author of the topic so you’ll get the recognition. Let me know if you’re okay with this.

Hi Graig,

Yes, I am absolutely ok… I am happy to help others in this community. I don’t mind. Please feel free to do so! Thank you.

I appreciate so much what you and others are placing here. I am reading the posts. I am so glad that I found this site today.

Best,
Michael

Michael, thanks for the generous contribution to the knowledge pool! We’re all learning this stuff together and having fun. :slight_smile: I’m going to put it up on our site with your name as the author. Your tutorial will get automatically emailed to hundreds of subscribers.

Michael,

This is really cool. Thank you for making it. We were just talking about needing this for the next meetup, probably June 5 in San Jose, for people setting up their machines on-site when they get there. This will help a lot!

Thank you!

Jesse

Great. I am very happy to help.

It has been fun to learn this IOT board. It takes a lot of time to learn from even the first tutorial. I am new to e2studio and python libraries. It is good to have a community here to help each other.

Look forward to attend the meeting and meet some cool people on June 5.

Nice to know you. Jesse.
Michael

Nice to meet you, too, Michael! So you’re local? In other words, within range of San Jose? And you think you could make it to an evening meetup? June 5 is a Monday. Last time was super useful, people worked through the tutorial or worked on more simple provisioning issues. We’ll have the info up shortly and start promoting it. But it would be great to meet you face-to-face.

Yes, I am. I can attend the evening meetup on Monday. Is the time/place of that evening meeting posted here? I can use some tutorials. Definitely I look forward to meet you face to face.

Best,
Michael

Mike, I think @jcasman is going to post the next meetup information soon. It’s going to be on Monday, June 5th. I believe from 6pm to 9pm at Action Spot Incubator, 99 Wilson Ave San Jose, CA, 95128.

There are two tracks in parallel:

1. Smart Garage Demo for people that are new to the IoT Sandbox
  2. Basic S3A7 IO using e2 Studio and Synergy

We’re still working on the actual content for the second piece, but it may involve control of the onboard LEDs of the S3A7.

It’s also possible that we may cover some aspects of Cloud-driven GPIO. This tutorial by @Dan covers trigger by physical button, mobile app, and touchscreen. The signal goes out to the cloud, is processed in the cloud, then comes back to the board. The mobile device can be anywhere with Internet connection.

Hi Craig,

Thank you for your great information. These tutorials will be very helpful to save time to learn.

I look forward to it. I have not done the Smart Garage Demo yet. I will check it out.

The GPIO tutorial will be interesting. I have not yet read Dan’s post yet. I have worked on it for two weeks. I thought that the GPIO example’s python code does not look right. So, I re-wrote my python code to handle the button debounce issue and expanded 1 LED to 4 LED on PMOD D ports. I also want to read those 4 GPIO’s in input mode. I have not been successful. I wonder if anyone has tried to perform GPIO read operation.

Best,
Michael

Mike, I posted the info on the meetup here, hope you can join us: https://www.meetup.com/Learn-IoT-Community/events/240034499/

Hi Jesse,

Great! Thank you for organizing the event. A very nice picture of the past event! I marked that date on my calendar and plan to attend. Look forward to meeting you and others!

Best,
Michael