Learn IoT MeetUp - June 5 in San Jose

meetup
events

RSVP here! - Or just reply to this post

Hands On Training, No Waiting

Ready to get started with IoT? Roll up your sleeves and get past the buzzwords. This is an evening hands on workshop, manipulating the Renesas S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit.

Boards and sensors are provided for use during the meetup free of charge to all. Please bring your own laptop.

If this is your first time, we will be using the Smart Garage Monitoring Tutorial to help learn. You’ll get a short initial introduction, and then you dive into the tutorial, going at your own pace. You get the chance to work on your board, ask questions, and make progress right there.

New - Second Track!

If you already have a Renesas board or attended a previous meetup or have been involved with the Learn IoT Community site online, we’re adding a “second track” to the meetup, running in parallel. It will cover basic S3A7 IO using e2 Studio and Synergy, powerful, scalable IoT tools. This track will help speed up the learning curve. This second track will involve controlling the onboard LEDs of the S3A7. Cool stuff!

The second track will be taught by Dan Kane, Learn IoT Community member, Stanford EE, author of Blinky on the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit tutorial.

Register with the Learn IoT Community

Please register with the Learn IoT community so you can begin taking advantage of the tutorials and other information available!

Free and Discounted IoT Hardware

We’ll be doing a giveaway at the meetup for 2 Renesas S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kits. You must be present at the meetup to win.

:new: We’ll also be giving away discount coupons for the brand new S5D9 boards!

Plus pizza, sodas, coffee, water… available for free for all attendees! :pizza:

Date and Location

Date: Monday, June 5, from 6pm to 9pm
Location: Action Spot Incubator, 99 Wilson Ave San Jose, CA, 951289
Parking: Free after 6pm, map of good spots nearby

Challenge: Simultaneous Wifi Access
S5D9 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit Coupons - $20 off!
Challenge: Simultaneous Wifi Access
My First Tutorial - UPDATED

@jcasman I think our contact at Renesas mentioned that we could give out $20 discount coupons at the event to reduce the price of the S5D9 from $35 to $15 (before tax and shipping). Have you heard anything about the discount for the S5D9?

I have not but I’ll ask and post here anything I hear back!

How about asking him if we can get a stack of discount coupons for the online community as well as the physical meetup? I think the coupons each have a unique code. It’s not a single code we can share.

Also, maybe ask him if we can show the S5D9 at the meetup on a table? I believe it 's functional, but awaiting FCC or some type of certification before shipping.

@jcasman, I was copied on the email from our contact at Renesas the distribution of coupons. Should we give out 20 at the meetup? 30?

Also, it looks like we’ll have the S5D9 prototype to demo at the event. Are we going to get the S5D9 prior to the event to test?

We’ll definitely be able to give out coupons at the meetup! Figuring out details with Renesas now, but this is a cool deal. I’m checking about demoing the S5D9 itself at the meetup.

Yes, I will come on June 5 but I don’t have s3a7 board ?

We have the boards on site. Everyone can borrow one.

It’s actually more of a kit with touchscreen LCD, sensors, rechargeable battery , Segger Debugger, cables. You can use it and the software for free at the event. If you like it, you can take it home at a big discount, reduced from $154 at Digi-Key to $50 at the meetup. We’re also giving away from kits as prizes for people to take home. The primary reason we’re charging something is to encourage people use the kit by making a small investment ($50). You can use the IDE (e2 Studio), libraries (Synergy), mobile app, and cloud-based Sandbox for free at your home as well.

This video has an overview of the kit components and Sandbox.

Please sign me up. Thanks.

Quan, like @craig says, you don’t need a board, we’ll provide them free for you to use at the meetup. Please bring your own laptop.

Also want to mention, we’ll be giving away 2 boards at the end of the evening, and if that doesn’t work, you also have the option to purchase a board at the “meetup discount” price of $50 (regular price is $154).

I remember your name RSVPing for our January meetup. Hope you’ll be able to make it this time! Let me know if you have any more questions.

Jesse

Chuck,

Consider yourself on the list! Have you used Renesas boards before? Do you work in IoT / embedded now?

Looking forward to meeting face-to-face.

Jesse

@jcasman Did you ever see the code for Dan’s fix to get the fourth LED blinking? I wonder if that’s a modification to the code that people could try after using the S3A7 standard Blinky code.

Checking in with @Dan now. I’ll let you know what I hear back.

@jcasman can you also check with the site if we can connect our own WiFi router to their network switch with a long Ethernet cable? I imagine that we’ll only bring our own WiFi router out if there are connection problems again. It’s not clear if another WiFi router will help with the problem of simultaneous access we encountered at the last two meetups, but it’s worth a try.

Compared to the last meetup, we’ll update the binaries on the s3a7 boards. I think we should also try other things to improve the connectivity.

Between the S3A7 board on the WiFi router to the Internet, there are these variables:

1. WiFi chipset (we know that the Qualcomm chipset on the S3A7 does not work with the recent Intel WiFi chipset)
  2. WiFi channel frequency
  3. physical distance between WiFi router and S3A7

For items 1 and 3, a different router might help.

The S5D9 and SK-S7G2 have Ethernet access, which will help with connectivity problems in the future, but the S3A7 only has WiFi access.

point 2 in your comments

My guess regarding simultaneous WiFi access from multiple board could be WiFi channel frequency.

Most of the demo application provisioning code use channel 1 and once provision done normal wifi access there is no channel defined.

Like below in provision mode (Access point mode)

g_provision_info.channel = 1.

if possible some one can change this like below in client mode

g_provision_info.channel = (uint8_t)(rand() % MAX_NUM_WiFi_CHANNLES); //random channel

define MAX_NUM_WiFi_CHANNLES 9 or 11

Keeping each device random channels may free up some of the issue.

smartchef project code can be modified like above. But every one download from Renesas sites its worthwhile ask them to change.

Thanks

Nice!

I’m going to meet with Jesse today to at least upgrade the boards to the most recent binary. After this, we’ll look into changing the WiFi channel into 3 equal parts between channels: 1, 6, and 11 or a random channel like the one you suggest.

The problem only occurs when many devices access the WiFi router at the same time, so I’ve suspected that it’s the WiFi channel interference. I hadn’t checked to verify that the channel didn’t rotate.

Hi Craig,

Here is the updated tutorial. This is what I’ll plan to go through at the meetup on June 5th. It starts from scratch with a clean build and it uses all 4 LEDs.

Dan

Great way to show how to configure GPIO. Thanks!

There’s a fun learning challenge with $50 Amazon Gift Card prize if someone wants to implement this before the meetup.