Learn IoT MeetUp and Workshop - Jan 23 in Santa Clara

Please include me for iot workshop for Jan 23rd.

Thanks,
Pratim Shah

I would like to attend this workshop

Kaamel Kermaani

I’d like to attend this IoT workshop.

Thanks,

Ming-tsun Hsieh

Hi there,
I would like to sign up for this session
Thanks
Andy

Hi all,

I’m on of the organizers of this site and the meetup next Monday. I’ve been replying to everyone directly. If you’ve left a response and haven’t heard from me, please either try DMing me again or send me email directly (jcasman@oppkey.com).

I’ll be sending out more details and logistics by tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting everyone next Monday!

Jesse

I just went through the Smart Garage Monitoring Tutorial and am fired up for this meetup. That’s a great tutorial and I’m glad that David Thai from Medium One suggested we base the workshop on it. I believe that’s the best tutorial yet. I’m worried that we won’t be able to cover all of the tutorial during the meetup, but let’s get as far as we can and hopefully people can finish and then extend the tutorial after the meetup.

The Smart Garage tutorial uses both the AMS Environmental Sensor and the BOSCH BMC150 sensor. As I’m now detecting vibration, proximity, and air quality, I feel I’m a lot closer to being able to build anything I can imagine.

Let’s rock and roll on Monday.

Hi
I would like to signup for the Meetup and workshop Jan23 in Santa Clara

Pravin

Wow, very excited after seeing my teenage son’s extremely positive reaction to the Smart Garage Monitoring Tutorial on this site. He went through the tutorial in about 1.5 hours with no outside help. Here’s some of his comments:

This is so much better than the original Smart Chef Demo

Oh wow, I now understand how the I/O trigger works

This tutorial with the blank workflow really helps me to get the full overview of the system

As a funny gotcha, being part of the mobile-first generation, he kept trying to use the touchscreen whenever possible. It’s not a problem since his laptop also has a trackpad, but I did find it interesting that the younger people expect things to work with the touchscreen.

He also had some minor problems with the board provisioning using Windows 10. His Asus laptop is less than a year old and can’t seem to connect with the S3A7 board using WiFi. This is not a big issue as he’s able to configure the board with his mobile phone (Android, Moto-G).

Using a cheap WiFi USB adapter, I can connect the S3A7 from Windows 10 on my desktop computer.

Other minor issues:

• profile name is user-defined. It can be anything. He was wondering if it needed to be a special string from the Sandbox. It’s just a tag for the user.
  • strings that output to the screen have a maximum length. If the string exceeds a certain length, then it will wrap and print status twice. This is only an issue if you try to modify the text to the screen to play around with different stuff in the tutorial.

Slides from Medium One

Packed Event

Marty Fabry (standing), co-founder of Medium One, helping the attendees

David Thai (in orange sweater), CEO of Medium One, helping the attendees

Jesse Casman, president of Oppkey, providing an Overview of the Renesas IoT Sandbox

Marty Fabry, co-founder of Medium One, presentation a basic overview of IoT, including MQTT

Manas Sawant, product marketing manager for Renesas Synergy Platform, explaining Synergy Software

The meetup only covered the S3A7 IoT Fast Prototyping Kit and the Renesas IoT Sandbox (powered by Medium One). Renesas Synergy Software Package is freely available with the kit (previously $80,000). It’s locked to only work with the Synergy chips from Renesas.

Thank you!

Just a quick thank you to everyone who came and participated last night. It was fun to be able to talk directly with a lot of you, find out about some of the projects you’re considering, and dig into actually using the boards a little.

For those of you who purchased a discounted board, please come on over to the Discussion section and tell us what you’d like to build. Getting your idea out to the community is a good way to push yourself!

Thank you, everyone!

During the meetup, someone asked about the connection of the S3A7 board to LoRa and bluetooth. We have tutorials for both. The LoRa tutorial, contributed by Medium One, is here.

There’s a bit of a problem with this tutorial in that I can’t find the LinkLabs LoRa PMOD modules online. I only see the LoRa modules with pads, which going to require some soldering. As the picture in the tutorial shows the use of a PMOD module, this form factor must exist.

I suspect that this may be a Renesas board supplied with another kit. Before I try and get these boards from Renesas, I want to check to see if there is any interest from the community. If there is interest, please write a quick note about your project.

WINNER!

During the meetup, we posted a Challenge… and @Dan responded immediately with “S3A7 Home Temperature and Humidity Monitor with Mobile Access.” He gets a free S3A7 kit!

Congratulations, Dan!

Renewing the Challenge

We’re pretty sure Dan had a head start. We didn’t say you couldn’t, so it wasn’t outside of the rules for the Challenge, mind you. But in case some of you have an idea that you’d like to pursue, we’re renewing the Challenge! Give us your idea, write it up, get a free board! Message me @jcasman (jcasman@oppkey.com) to jump in, or just drop your idea into the Discussion section of the site!

Congratulations to @Dan!!! :bulb::tada::fireworks:

Here’s some information from an expert on the sandbox about using multiple nodes:

As for monitoring multiple nodes one recommendation would be to try monitoring 2-3 nodes as a test to become familiar with setting up and visualizing the data on the Sandbox dashboard. With multiple nodes developers will need to begin to consider how they are going to use the data coming from the devices beyond simply viewing the current state. The Sandbox has tools for trending and analysis of data that are worth a closer look once you get 2-3 nodes of data connected.